Thanks for a Great First Week

September 1, 2017

Dear Families,

We’ve had a great week to start the year.  It has been nice to get to know your children.  They all seem very eager to learn and excited to be at school.  I hope their enthusiasm continues throughout the year.  We played several games to get to know each other and I learned some very interesting things about your children.  I look forward to learning more about your children in the coming weeks and working with them throughout the year.  

Dates to Remember:

September 4 ~ No school (Labor Day)

September 14 ~ School Picture Day

September 21 ~ Open House

Homework:

The first two weeks are full of assessments, so don’t expect to see too much homework.  Homework will start the week of September 11.  Students will be expected to complete a reading log Monday through Thursday.  When students complete a reading log they need to read for fifteen to twenty minutes and fill out the reading log form, which they will all have in their homework folders.  Students should write two or more sentences summarizing what they have read, and two or more sentences responding to what the read – questioning, predicting, or making connections.  

Spelling will start on September 18, and I will give you more information on spelling homework when it starts.  

Math homework will consist of occasional homework/study links and daily practice for 10-15 minutes on Dreambox (a school purchased math website).

Please don’t ever have your kids work to the point of frustration on homework!  If homework becomes a struggle, let me know and I’ll make some adjustments.

Contacting Me:

You can reach me through email or handwritten notes.  My email address is joseph.cheney@colchestersd.org  If you choose to write a note please put it in a sealed envelope for confidentiality.  I usually will get back to you within 24 hours.

Sincerely,

Mr. Cheney