Homework

Dear Families,

I just wanted to go over homework guidelines again.  Monday through Thursday students are expected to read for 20 minutes and fill out a reading log.  The reading log only requires a sentence or two describing the events of what your child read and a sentence or two about a reaction they had: connection, question, or prediction.  Students are also expected to work on DreamBox for 20 minutes per night.  I have heard of a few complaints about logging into DreamBox.  If you’re having a hard time accessing DreamBox try copying this link and pasting it into your browser: https://play.dreambox.com/login/5spm/mallettsbs   Once there click on Mr. Cheney.  Your child’s username is:  firstname.lastname   Their password is the same as their Xtramath.org password, which is a 4-digit code they use everyday.

Although I don’t want parents and students struggling to get homework done, I do want everyone to give their best effort.  This morning only 6 of 25 kids turned in a reading log.  Typically, I will email parents if 2 or more reading logs are missed in a week, unless parents notify me that their child needs to be excused from an assignment.  The easiest way to notify me, that you want your child excused from an assignment, is to write “excused” and your initials on the homework you want excused on your child’s homework log.

The Lighthouse 4th grade has decided to launch a new spelling program this year.  We will focus on homophones, plurals, suffixes, and prefixes the first trimester.

Thank you,

Mr. Cheney