Room 151 News

Dear Families,

Today we spent our morning at the Flynn watching a show about the Abenaki.  It was an interesting show, but a little too long for the average 9 year old.  Shows at the Flynn typically last an hour, this show lasted two hours.  Despite the extended stay at the Flynn, student behavior was exceptional.  In fact since last Wednesday, students have really turned it around and behavior has been great.

Math

We just starting working on fractions.  We will be learning to identify fractions, compare fractions, order them, and find fractions of wholes.  For example 3/5 of 60 =36

Writing

Students have been working on writing short stories.  They did a great job of being creative, but need to work on the conventions of writing (proper capitalization, usage, punctuation, and spelling).

Reading

The beginning of the year until New Year’s break is on literary elements; plot, setting, character, conflict, and theme.  After Thanksgiving we will be reading some Greek Myths.

Science

We just started using Hot Wheels to learn about energy, force and motion.  We’ve talked a little bit about friction.  Potential energy and kinetic energy are next on the list.

Twitter

I’ve tried to put pictures of students on my twitter account.  I’m not sure if my blog emails you when I update my twitter account, but if you haven’t done so in awhile, look at the pictures on my twitter account: JosephCheney151

Parent Conferences

If you haven’t already done so, please go to the MBS website and sign up for a conference time.  Additionally, if you have any questions/issues you want to discuss please send me an email and I’ll have a response ready for you at your conference.

Thank you,

Mr. Cheney

You can email me any time at: joseph.cheney@colchestersd.org