Homework

Dear Cheney’s Cool Kids & Families,

I wanted to take a moment and share some information about homework in our class. This year, I will not be assigning “traditional” homework. Based on current research and my firm belief that students have worked hard the entire time they are in class, they should be able to enjoy their evenings with family time, extracurricular activities and an opportunity to relax and be ready for the next day of learning. If a student is off task and does not complete an assignment in school, I will send the assignment home to be completed.

“Homework” this year will consist of two parts. First is reading. We are working to build a community of voracious readers. Students should be reading at least 30 minutes per night.  Reading can be read to self, listening to reading, reading with a friend, parent, or to a sibling.

The second part with be  math practice. Students may choose Prodigy,  Dreambox or another online math to complete 40 minutes per week.  In addition they may work on any practice with math facts, such as flashcards or math games. They can choose to do this all in one night or spread out over four nights.

All of this work will be on your honor, we are working to build integrity in our class. As opposed to a weekly or monthly homework log,  as we get closer to report cards, I will send home a self reflection sheet so students can grade themselves on how well they met these homework expectations.

In addition, there will be projects we do throughout the year that may require some work at home, I will always send home directions and information leading up to this work.

Thank you so much for your support in your child’s learning at school and at home. Please contact me at joseph.cheney@colchestersd.org with any questions or concerns.

Your teacher,

Mr. Cheney