Valentine’s Day Compliments

Dear Families,

February 8, 2019

Your homework this weekend is to write a complex, complimentary sentence for each of your classmates.  A compliment is a positive statement about someone’s words, or actions. A complex sentence contains one independent clause (a clause that can stand alone as a sentence), and one dependent clause (a clause that needs the help of an independent clause to form a complete sentence) joined with a subordinating conjunction (a connecting word, that joins independent and dependent clauses).

Examples of Subordinating Conjunctions:  after, although, as, as if, as long as, as though, because, before, if, in order that, since, so, so that, that, though, unless, until, when, where, whereas, while,

Examples of Compliments:

Damion, I realized what an exceptional athlete you were, when I saw you dribble around three people and score a goal during soccer.

Elizabeth, you are such a good friend, because you always make me feel better when I’m sad.

Jack, you are a really good student, even though everyone around you was talking, you were able to stay on task.

Warning: Compliments will be shared at our Valentine’s Day Party, so make sure they are appropriate for classroom use.

Directions:

Use your notes from the last two weeks to make the best compliment you can for each of your classmates.  You may ask an adult to help you, or to look over your compliments when you are done. Make sure you have a well written compliment for each classmate.  Cut out each compliment when you are done and bring them back to school in an envelope or Ziploc bag.

(I would love compliments in complex sentence form, but at the end of the day, just writing something kind about each classmate is absolutely fine.)

Thanks,
Mr. Cheney